November Book Discussion

Book Discussion - The Astonishing Color of After

Hello Nail-Biters!! We hope you enjoyed this month's read and you are ready to discuss the book! 
  1. What is your general review of this book?
  2. If this book was to be made into a movie, who would be your ideal cast?
  3. How do you think Leigh’s father developed throughout the story?
  4. Is there a PoV from another character that you would like to read?
  5. What did you think about Leigh's mother's relationship with her parents and her decision to live apart?
You are welcome to discuss until December 1st and this will be the only discussion post! You may comment any time and any day until then. Feel free to answer other Nail-Biters' comments or use our chat to discuss. If you have any doubts about our rules, you can check them out here. Don't forget to sign your comments, specially when using the anonymous mode!

DECEMBER'S BOOK POLL IS ALSO UP, CHECK IT OUT!

We also launched our e-mail account thenailbiterbookclub@gmail.com to which you can e-mail your submissions, questions and any feedback! 



Have fun!

Comments

  1. 1. 5 STARS!
    Reading this book was a rollercoaster. The concept was interesting even before I picked it up and when I did, I couldn't take my eyes off these pages.
    As someone who suffered from depression, suicide thoughts and grief, this book was really close to my heart. I could see myself in Dory, for all she suffered but didn't want to leave her loved ones behind; I could see myself in Leigh, who needed to know more about her family and how she suffered with grief.
    I think it was amazing how Pan explored the feelings of art and colours; how Dory played the piano and what Leigh felt while drawing.
    Feng was also a really interesting topic for me and I really wasn't expecting what was coming for her
    I'm really glad Emily Pan could tight all the knots, because even with the new interesting discovers about her family, I wanted to know how it would end for Leigh back home - her art and Axel.
    Also I want to mention I LOOOOVED CARO! She was super sweet and awesome and her family was so cute! And they were so friendly towards Leigh!
    As a whole, this book passed through every topic. It made me really sad at times but then it made me really happy and it teaches us important lessons.

    2. I imagine Dory being played by Barbie Hsu, a taiwanese actress. That's because I imagine Dory freshly and innocently looking, which may not be like it was described.

    3. I really feel like the author did not have an image in mind for this character. So, in the end, he loved Leigh's art, then why was he so rude all along? And he wasn't a present father or husband figure, which to me is wrong even if everyone is mentally healthy.So I think the author molded him to the situations and how she wanted the other characters to feel; but in the end, she didn't want us to hate him.

    4. Jingling! Her story was so interesting. I really wanted to know more about the marrying-after-death believings in Taiwan, it was sounded really interesting.

    5. I think I understand her - when people hurt you, you want to stay back and be happy. But I also think she should think about Leigh and how she deserved to know about her grandparents and what went wrong in their relationship. I also don't understand how Dory could just ignore their letters and etc. No matter how hurt you are, you should always listen what the other person has to say, specially after so many years of being apart - that's my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment